ghd launched a new hairdryer, air, into a cluttered and competitive category. ghd air was five times the cost of the average hairdryer and lacked the game-changing results of their original and iconic stylers.
We knew we had to get the product into the hands of women across the UK, but felt ‘pop-ups’ were old news. So we created Air Boutique - a mobile salon where each location was decided by social media fans. ghd had a large Facebook following, but a channel audit showed most of these fans were passive at best. Twitter, although a smaller group, were highly active and the demographic much more likely to purchase a premium product.
Without a media budget, we decided to use Facebook as our advertising platform and Twitter as our interaction platform to activate.
- 10 cities visited in two months with just 48 hours notice before arrival
- 50% increase in sales in all 10 regions we visited
- 60% increase in Twitter followers
- Trended twice on Twitter UK
- 4,700 Facebook engagements